Tuesday, January 18, 2005

thinking....

okay so I have been thinking alot about what the church is supposed to be and what has gone wrong in us being that.... I came across a list of things the church should be (including biblical references for each point) and I have been going over it alot here latly... tonight something different stuck out while I was sharing the list with some ppl...

People regularly gather together in a place... (for those curious the scripture is Acts 5)

now this is only one of the things on the list so don't go on leaving me comments about how it takes more to be a church... I recognize that but I want to focus on this one point right now... so on with the thought process...

after I read this one of the ppl that I was sharing it with said "so does that mean we are a church, the 3 of us?" I didn't hesitate to answer yes... then I got to thinking about what Jesus said in Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three come together in my name, there I am with them." If this statement was used to qualify something as church or not, then tonight was church.

this lead to even further thinking... many time I am gathered together with other belivers, but it is not in God's name... that would not be church... so when I go to church on Sunday because I feel obligated, or to look good, or to socialize, I am not there for church... I am there for some other reason... it is only when we come together in God's name does it make it church... maybe that is part of the reason churches in America and elsewhere are failing so much to live up to the standard God has set before us... somewhere along the what church stopped being about God and started being about us... it is more of a social club that a worship service to our ALMIGHTY KING!!! the more members we have the better we look, so we must lure ppl into out group by making it fun, and exciting, and different... but all along we are missing the whole point and we aren't being a church at all...


No comments: